Skip to content
Chrysostom on Fasting
Saint John Chrysostom
on the Meaning and Purpose of Fasting
- Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works.
- If you see a poor man, take pity on him.
- If you see a friend being honored, do not envy him.
- Do not let only your mouth fast, but also the eye and the ear and the feet and the hands and all the members of our bodies.
- Let the hands fast, by being free of greed.
- Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin.
- Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them not to glare at that which is sinful.
- Let the ear fast, by not listening to evil talk and gossip.
- Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism.
- For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fish, but bite and devour our brothers?
- May HE who came to the world to save sinners strengthen us to complete the fast with
humility, have mercy on us and save us. AMEN.